If you’re thinking about getting a body piercing, you might be worried about the pain. Whether or not you feel pain during a piercing depends on your response to pain and where the piercing is located. An eyebrow piercing, for example, is typically more sensitive and painful than an ear or nostril piercing.
So how do you prevent the pain in the first place?
You can turn to a numbing cream for piercings to quickly block the pain. The goal is to make the initial pain as minimal as possible with these products. But before you run off to grab one, there are things you need to know. What to consider, the different kinds, and then two top brands to look into.
What Should You Consider in Numbing Creams
First, look at the ingredients. There are three main ingredients in a numbing cream, which are:
Not only are these ingredients effective in minimizing pain during a piercing, but they help reduce pain as the piercing heals.
Some numbing creams are better for pre-piercing, and some are far more suited for post-piercing. Are you hoping to prevent the pain from the actual piercing or want pain relief after?
It’s always a great idea to check with your piercer, as they may be able to suggest a product or prefer you don’t use one.
While many of the products are FDA compliant, that doesn’t mean they are approved. Meaning you have an open wound; you have to be careful if the cream says topical or used for minor cuts or wounds.
Best Numbing Creams
What are some of the best numbing creams for piercings out there? With so many to pick from, it can be hard to know which one might work for you. Before you buy a numbing cream for piercings, make sure you aren’t allergic to any of the ingredients and that you always follow any aftercare instructions from your piercer.
Dr.Numb Numbing Cream
Dr. Numb is the best numbing cream for piercings out there. Why? It is long-lasting, leaves no residue on the area applied to, and quickly numbs it. Dr. Numb is a name brand that many people turn to because it has proven it has worked for years. It won’t leave your skin feeling oily after use either. As well as adding in vitamin E, which helps the healing process, it makes it, so your experience is the best possible.
- FDA compliant and sold in the US, Canada, and Australia.
- Its fast-acting formula allows for quicker absorption into the skin.
- Easy to find.
- Dr. Numb comes in at both 4% and 5%.
- It is more expensive than some products.
- Typically needs two applications to get the best numbing.
- Do not use it near your eyes.
Zensa Numbing Cream
Zensa is one product that is vegan if you prefer to go that route. It is one of the few numbing creams that contain vitamin E, which promotes healthy healing. It is a top pick because many piercers use this product or recommend it to their clients. Zensa is perfect for sensitive areas such as eyebrows, lips, genital, and dermal piercings. This piercing numbing cream is a top product because of the places it can be applied to.
- You can use this product around the eyes and mouth.
- FDA approved.
- It does not constrict blood flow on the area applied.
- It uses 5% lidocaine, the maximum amount for over the counter numbing agents.
- You are paying for the quality of the product.
- The numbing isn’t as long-lasting as other products.
Hush Numbing Cream
This long-lasting numbing cream also comes in a numbing gel for piercings as well. Both are a top product because they last for hours without the need to reapply. While you may not need to reapply for a piercing, this product is going to keep the site numb for post-piercing pain too. Hush is known to work great with sensitive skin and is vegan friendly as well. Being great with sensitive skin makes it a perfect numbing cream for ear piercings.
- Numbing works for a minimum of two hours, but many say it works for up to five hours.
- Hush is safe to use on sensitive skin.
- FDA compliant.
- It uses 4% lidocaine.
- It comes with child protection caps to keep little ones from getting into it.
- Hush is expensive for 2 ounces of product.
- Most reviewers say you have to use half of the bottle for a large area.
- Have to apply the product long before the procedure.
Ebanel Numb520 Cream
Ebanel is a top consideration as not only do they make sprays but creams and gels. This product can also be a numbing spray for piercings that is quick and easy to apply. It is excellent for small areas on the body and works on sensitive skin. Coming at 5% lidocaine means it is one of the most intense creams you can get without a prescription. It works not only pre-piercing but also post-piercing, making it a versatile product.
- Ebanel has a non-greasy formula.
- It works faster than creams and gels.
- Great for small areas like ears on adults and children alike.
- Hypoallergenic meaning it is excellent for sensitive skin and those with allergies to dyes.
- This product works as a pain reliever after a piercing too.
- Not as long-lasting as other creams and gels.
- Some reviews state there is a foul odor.
- For longer sessions or longer waiting times, you will have to reapply.
- There is very little product for the price at only 1.35 ounces per container.
Numbing Creams Wrap Up
There are many products out there that promise the numbing effect. Knowing what to look for is going to save you, not only money but time. Ensure you check out the active ingredients of the product to minimize the chance of an allergic reaction. Numbing cream for piercings are out there to help you get the body modification you dream of.